Sunday, July 23, 2006

IT Screen Goddess Rant

Not only does the calendar *financially support the attraction of* more women into the industry via industry recruitment programs, MORE IMPORTANTLY (to me at any rate) it supports the often isolated/dis-empowered women*already in ICT*.

IT Goddess Calendar 2007: Not for Profit Charity fundraiser to support programs for women in ICT industry. Please support.
It Goddess Calendar Preview









Life Training

  • Career path planning
  • Mentoring
  • Networking
  • Study
  • Dev groups
  • Business Opportunities
  • Work/personal balance
  • Maternity support (supporting our genetic brains trust)
  • Flexible hours
  • Social networks
  • Remote access
  • Training for individual enterprise bargaining
  • Corporate survival skills.....I'm sure you can all relate to this one

Options

I see Calendar being about providing OPTIONS. Recipients includes women who *need/want* to be supported ~ however this in turn provides opportunities to all women [and thus people].


Where are all the good girls going, going,,,,,, GONE?

I for one can no longer sit back and watch any more of the most talented, professional, amazing, and (dare I say) *superior human* female colleagues continue to fall out of IT.

Glass Ceiling or through the Looking Glass?

Just prior to falling out, these women often feel undervalued, unrecognised. They always leave holes so much larger than the space everyone thought they filled ~ replaced more often than not with some average to low quality DRONE.

Is that a shard in your eye or is it superglue?
Women are often the glue of IT enterprise; communication hubs, translaters, human interfaces - so much more than *just* their *job*.

Is that why they are glued to their role, finding it difficult to advance ~ because too often they are irreplaceable?

Soft Skills are for pussies & some members of the Homo Sapien species (but not for techies!!) :P

Is this a soft skill? Who cares? Are soft skills some kind of heinous crime?

These skills are what are required to be human/humane. A pre-requisite for empathy. An innate understanding of User/techncal requirements to deliver user/technical interfaces that HUMANS will use!

This is the reality of the ICT industry. It is much broader than *just* technical, and so much more than *just* "marketing". I always view myself as some hybrid catalyst that perceives and analyses systems, develops strategies and translating details into actions. Then, along with my team, I roll up my sleeves, we have some fun to remind ourselves we're friends, then throw ourselves into IT and Get IT Done .


Personal Choice

Being a senior executive (of an entity owned by a public company), I had to carefully consider and workshop the decision to appear in this calendar with my colleagues for 9 months, and only gave my permission 1 month ago. All my family, friends and colleagues (encompassing a broad based population group) have supported me throughout.

Happily married to a wonderful, warm, heroic, funny, sane man; and deeply proud of my daughter & granddaughter, I've reached a point in my life where I've made my share of mistakes and *learned the hard way*. While I've had little in the way of support in my career, I wish for a easier route for those who follow. IT doesn't have to be difficult.

I'm supportive of any charitable endeavour that at some point in the future can help provide young people with greater options.

So much more than IT

I am NOT ONLY a woman with a passion for ICT (I LIVE IT). I'm also [for example] a woman who loves getting away: snow skiing or camping, swimming and fishing lost somewhere on beaches with a 4WD, a tent, a towel, some walking shoes, and three pairs of bikinis. I'm a strong woman. I'm a do-er. I'm nobodies fool. I'm curious. I need to know the how and why of everything. I have an absolute belief in myself that I can achieve all my goals.




4Grrrl: Proud to be KickAss

I have a tendency to be quite idealistic (Platonic), however I strive to balance this with pragmatism (skepticism rather than cynicism/negativity).

The commercial reality is that in order to most effectively enable women with information and options, co-ordinated programs must be funded, and governments don't pay for it. Grants for worthwhile projects that support women will be available if we can give charitable endeavours such as these our financial support.



Personal rant ends

Personal stuff aside now, this is not about *me*; or any other individual involved in this initiative. This is about putting a spotlight on the industry, extracting the individual issues that (often isolated) women face, and looking for solutions.


Time to build bridges

Now its time to hear the stories of women who want support. That's when the real work starts. This calendar is the kickstart.


Anyone that can support the initiative has my support reciprocated.


Sharon Don IT Goddess Calendar girl

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about freedom of choice. If Sharon wants to be on a calendar let her be! I think some people are not so confident in themselves, so they lash out at people like Sharon. Anyway, we have to sexy men in footy calendar as well.... times have changed... it's the 21st Century now and the days of political correctness are over..

Anonymous said...

Agreed. None of the images are of weak or degraded women, so what's the issue? Instead, they have just appropriated images from G to M-rated popular culture.

What's the issue withthat?